Broiled Lamb (or Beef or Bison) Burgers Sous Vide
Adapted from The 6 Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle, Eades and Eades (Crown 2009)
Serves 4 (multiplies easily)
- 1 pound (0.5 kg) ground lamb, beef, or bison
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) garlic powder
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 134F/56.5C for medium rare (140F/60C for medium or 150F for well done.)
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and knead to mix thoroughly.
- Form into 4 patties about ¾-inch to 1-inch thick.
- Put no more than 4 patties in a single layer into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch(es) in the water oven and cook for one hour.
- If not using right away, quick chill the pouches, submerged in an ice water bath (half ice/half water) for at least 30 minutes and refrigerate for up to 48 hours or label and freeze for use up to one year. (Reheat the refrigerated or frozen patties in their pouch in the SousVide Supreme set to the desired serving temperature for about 30 minutes, if refrigerated, to an hour, if frozen, before proceeding.)
- Before serving, if desired, sear the surface of the burger under the broiler for a minute or two, or on a lightly oiled skillet or grill over high heat for 30 seconds, or even with a kitchen torch to create a nicely browned crust.