Cajun Chicken Sous Vide
Serves 1 to 4
- 1 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 to 4 tablespoons (15 to 60 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 to 4 teaspoons (5 to 20 g) SousVide SupremE Tangy Cajun Rub (or your favorite blend of Cajun spices.)
- Coarse salt (omit if brining chicken)
- For best results, brine the chicken beforehand in the refrigerator:
- Make the brining solution by dissolving 1/8 cup (30 g) kosher salt in 1 quart (.95 liter) of water in a gallon zip closure bag or large covered container.
- Place the chicken into the brine, seal or cover, and refrigerate 4 hours or up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove the chicken pieces from the brine and discard the brining liquid; rinse the chicken in cold water. Pat dry.
- Preheat SousVide Supreme to desired level of doneness (146F/63.5C for medium)
- Sprinkle the chicken pieces lightly on both sides with coarse salt (if you did not brine the chicken)
- Although added fat is not necessary, if desired make a compound butter by mixing 1 tablespoon softened butter per piece of chicken with 1 teaspoon of the SousVide Supreme Tangy Cajun Rub and add it to the cooking pouch.
- Put 1 or at most 2 breasts or up to 4 thighs into a suitably sized food pouch, and vacuum/seal.
- Place the sealed food pouches into the pouch rack in the water bath, being certain to position the chicken completely below the surface of the water.
- Cook for at least 2 hours or up to 4 hours.
- To serve, remove cooked chicken from pouch and serve immediately straight from the pouch or topped with Spicy Peach Salsa (see list of recipes on our website) or your favorite sauce.
If not serving immediately, quick cool the pouch submerged in ice water for 1 hour and refrigerate to reheat for serving or use in chicken salad or quick soups for up to 48 hours.