Gourmet Nutty Bird Burgers Sous Vide
Adapted from The 6 Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle, Eades and Eades (Crown 2009)
Serves 4 (Multiplies easily)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 green onions, green and white parts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 pound (0.5 kg) ground turkey
- 1/3 cup (79 ml) pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) onion powder
- 8 large lettuce leaves
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) Cranberry-Orange Relish
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 165F.
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the green onions and parsley for 2 to 3 minutes until limp.
- Transfer the onions to a bowl; add the turkey, pine nuts, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and knead to mix thoroughly.
- Form into 4 patties about ¾-inch to 1-inch thick.
- Put no more than 4 patties in a single layer into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch(es) in the water oven and cook for at least one hour.
- If not using right away, quick chill the pouches, submerged in an ice water bath (half ice/half water) for at least 30 minutes and refrigerate for up to 48 hours or label and freeze for use up to one year. (Reheat the refrigerated or frozen patties in their pouch in the SousVide Supreme set to 165F for about 30 minutes, if refrigerated, to an hour, if frozen, before proceeding.)
- Before serving, if desired, sear the surface of the burger under the broiler for a minute or two, or on a lightly oiled skillet or grill over high heat for 30 seconds, or even with a kitchen torch to create a nicely browned crust.
- Put each burger onto a lettuce leaf, top with a tablespoon of the relish, add a bit of mayonnaise, if desired, top with a second lettuce leaf, and enjoy.
Like this? Why not share it: