Olive Oil Poached Salmon with Roasted Ruby Beets
Courtesy of Sur La Table
- 4 salmon fillets, about 6 ounces (170 g) each, skinned
- 8 tablespoons (120 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided and chilled
- 8 sprigs fresh dill
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) dry white wine, divided
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
For the beets
- 2 medium red beets, well-scrubbed and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) butter
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) hazelnut oil
For the Crème Fraiche
- 3/4 Cup (175 ml) crème fraiche
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and peeled
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh dill, finely chopped
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil into each of four small cooking pouches and chill in the refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes to thicken.
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 130F/54.4C.
- Preheat traditional oven to 400 F/200C.
- Add butter, sugar and salt to the beets, wrap in aluminum foil, and roast in the traditional oven until tender about 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove beets from oven, allow them to cool, and wipe skin off with towel.
- Dice beets to about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) toss with hazelnut oil and set aside.
- Lightly season salmon with salt and pepper and seal each fillet individually along with 2 dill sprigs and 1 tablespoon of the white wine in the pouches in which you have chilled the olive oil.
- Cook salmon in the SousVide Supreme for 10 to12 minutes.
- Remove the pouches from water and let sit at room temp for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crème fraiche
- grate cucumber into a small bowl
- add crème fraiche and chopped dill and fold in
- cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Remove salmon from pouches; garnish with crème fraiche and beet cubes, and serve immediately.
Like this? Why not share it: