Stuffed Buffalo Burgers Sous Vide
Adapted from The 6 Week Cure for the Middle Aged Middle, Eades and Eades (Crown 2009)
Serves 4 (Multiplies easily)
- 1 pound buffalo (or beef)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (about 4 ounces) mild diced green chile
- 4 tablespoons shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 134F/56.5C for medium rare (140F/60C for medium or 150F for well done.)
- In a bowl, combine the meat, soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper and knead to mix thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture roughly into 4 equal portions, then divide each portion in half to make 8 portions of meat. Pat each of these portions into a patty about ¼-inch thick.
- Put about 1 tablespoon of diced chile and 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese into the center of 4 of the patties. Top each of these with another patty and press the edges together all around to make a tight seal. Then gently reshape the patties to make them smooth again. You will have 4 thick, stuffed burger patties.
- Put no more than 4 patties in a single layer into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch(es) in the water oven and cook for one hour.
- If not using right away, quick chill the pouches, submerged in an ice water bath (half ice/half water) for at least 30 minutes and refrigerate for up to 48 hours or label and freeze for use up to one year. (Reheat the refrigerated or frozen patties in their pouch in the SousVide Supreme set to the desired serving temperature for about 30 minutes, if refrigerated, to an hour, if frozen, before proceeding.)
- Before serving, if desired, sear the surfaces of the burger under the broiler for a minute or two, or on a lightly oiled skillet or grill over high heat for 30 seconds, or even with a kitchen torch to create a nicely browned crust.