Sous Vide Veggies
From Episode 8 – Sous Vide Basics Cooking Video Series with Sharone Hakman
Serves 2 to 4
Serve with Sous Vide Ribeye Steak
- 1 red beet, peeled
- 1 yellow beet, peeled
- 1 turnip, peeled
- 5 to 6 cippolini or pearl onions, peeled
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 182F/83C.
- Chop the beets and turnips into 1-inch pieces or, if desired, scoop into small rounds with a melon baller.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper and put each vegetable into its own small (quart/0.9 liter) vacuum pouch and vacuum seal.
- Season the onions with salt and pepper and put them into a small (quart/0.9 liter) cooking pouch; add the olive oil and butter and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouches in the water oven and cook for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the onion pouch from the water oven, open the pouch, and drain off the accumulated liquid.
- Pour the onions into a skillet, over medium high heat, and sauté for about 3 minutes until they become light golden.
- Remove the remaining vegetable pouches and open them.
- Arrange vegetables on a serving plate and enjoy.
To serve as Sharone does in Episode 8: Arrange the cooked vegetables and onions on the center of serving plates and top with slices of ribeye. Garnish with a sprig of rosemary and serve.