Herb Rubbed Ribeye Steaks
- 1 bunch (6 to 8 sprigs) thyme, minced, woody stems discarded
- 4 sprigs rosemary, leaves minced
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) kosher salt,
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) paprika
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili powder
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) softened butter or olive oil.
- 2 rib eyes, bone-in, 1-1/2 inches (3.8 cm) thick
- Fill and preheat the water oven to desired degree of doneness (134F/56.5C for medium rare, 140F/60C for medium, 150F/65.5C for medium well.)
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients, except steaks, stirring until well blended.
- Spread the rub over all surfaces of the steak and massage into the meat.
- Put each steak into a small (quart/.9 liter) cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge in the water oven and cook for at least 1-1/2 hour and up to 8 hours (the longer the
- better for leaner, tougher steaks, such as from bison or grass fed cattle)
- Remove pouches from the water oven.
- When ready to serve, preheat and oil a grill or grill pan over high heat.
- Remove the steaks from the pouches, pat their surfaces dry, and sear over high heat for 30 to 45 seconds per side to impart color, flavor, and grill marks.