Herb Roasted Pheasant Breast
With Asparagus & Pickled Mushrooms
Watch the Sous Vide Gourmet Cooking Video Series to see how to prepare this dish.
Courtesy of Chef Jason Wilson, Crush, Seattle, WA
For the pheasant
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) finely chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) finely chopped sage
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) finely chopped shallots
- ½ cup (120 ml) chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt or sea salt
- 4 (5-ounce/150 g each) boneless pheasant breasts, skin on (organic chicken can be substituted)
- Olive oil for final sear
For the asparagus
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) finely chopped mint
- 12 spears large fresh asparagus, trimmed and 2/3 length of stalks peeled
For the mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) pickling spice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) apple juice
- Kosher Salt as needed to season to taste.
- 1 cup (59 g) gourmet mushrooms (chanterelles, morels, oyster, porcini)
- Fill and preheat the Sous Vide Supreme to 146F/63.5C.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the thyme, chives, parsley, sage, shallots, chicken stock, and salt and simmer for 3 minutes, whisking lightly.
- Season the pheasant lightly with salt on both sides and put them, two to a pouch, into small (quart/0.9 liter) cooking pouches.
- Spoon the herb mixture over the pheasant breasts, dividing the mixture evenly between the pouches, and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouches in the water oven and cook for 35 minutes. (Set the timer.)
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, simmer the garlic in extra virgin olive oil with a pinch of salt; add the mint and lemon zest and continue to cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the asparagus to the skillet and toss to coat with the herbed oil; put the spears, in a single layer, side by side, into a small (quart/0.9 liter) cooking pouch, and vacuum seal. Set aside.
- Next, prepare the pickling brine. In a saucepan, whisk together the pickling spice, sugar, 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, vinegar and apple juice and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put the mushrooms into a small (quart/0.9 liter) cooking pouch, pour the pickling brine over the mushrooms and vacuum seal.
- When the timer indicates that the pheasant has cooked for 35 minutes, add the asparagus and mushroom pouches to the water oven and reset timer for 10 minutes.
- Remove all items from the water bath when the timer sounds.
- To finish, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Remove the pheasant breast from its pouch and sauté until golden brown on both sides.
- Plate the dish.
Like this? Why not share it: