Chinn Chinn’s Asian Short Ribs
Courtesy of John Tsui (Chinn Chinn, Mattawan, MI)
For the short ribs
- 5 pounds (2.3 kg) short ribs trimmed of excess fat
- 1 recipe dry rub (follows)
- 1 recipe wet rub (follows)
- 2 or 3 scallions, chopped for garnish
For the dry rub
- 1/2 cup (120 g) salt
- 1 cup (192 g) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) onion powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Spanish paprika
For the wet rub
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (100 g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) apple juice
- 1/4 cup (80 g) chopped garlic (to taste)
- Rub short ribs with the dry rub mixture; cover and let sit, refrigerated, for up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 142F/61C.
- Put the ribs into large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouches and vacuum seal.
- Submerge in the water oven and cook for 48 hours.
- Once finished cooking, remove ribs from pouches (reserving juices if you want to make a quick sauce – see below.)
- Brush the ribs with wet rub (see recipe below), and sear on hot grill for about 1 minute per side, depending on the amount of char you would like.
- To make a quick sauce, simply pour the reserved juices from the cooking pouch into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and reduce by a third. Set aside
- For serving, pour the sauce into a shallow bowl, arrange the short ribs on the sauce, top with some scallions, and serve.
Like this? Why not share it: