Spicy Rhubarb Compote
Courtesy of Vivian Peterson of V Top Secret Chef
- ¼ cup (60 ml) honey
- 2 cups (480 ml) red wine
- 1 cup (192 g) sugar
- 3 strips (2-inch/ 5 cm) orange peel
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) red pepper flakes
- 10 rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into 1-inch/2.5 cm pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) salt
- Cinnamon, clove and cardamom (optional)
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 180F/82C.
- Combine wine, sugar, orange peel, pepper flakes in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the mixture into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch, add the rhubarb and salt and use the displacement method (Archimedes Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until tender.
- With a slotted spoon transfer the rhubarb to shallow dish arranging it in a single layer.
- Pour the cooking liquid into a saucepan on the stovetop and bring to a boil, cooking until it is thick, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the syrup over the rhubarb and cool, then cover and chill until cold.
- Spoon this rhubarb compote over duck, chicken breast, pork or beef.
Learn more about this Seattle Sous Vide Cooking class here.
Like this? Why not share it: