Vivian’s Sous Vide Poached Pear in Red Wine
Courtesy of Vivian Peterson of V Top Secret Chef
- 2 bottles (1500 ml) red wine
- 1 ½ cup (275 g) sugar
- 2 sticks (10 g) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml/2 g) ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml/4 g) whole cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoons (7.5 ml/3 g) allspice
- 3 pods (3 g) star anise
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 176F/80C.
- Combine all ingredients except pears in a saucepan on medium high. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain the reduction.
- Peel the pears.
- Put the pears into a zip-closure cooking pouch with red wine reduction. Use the displacement method (Archimedes’ Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 30 minutes.
- Quick chill the pears in the pouch, submerged in ice water for 15 minutes after cooking. Refrigerate for an hour or up to overnight.
- When ready to serve, clip open the pouch and drain the cooking juices from the pears into a saucepan.
- Over medium heat, reduce the juices to the viscosity of a light syrup.
- Slice the pears and serve with the syrup.
Learn more about this Seattle Sous Vide Cooking class here.