Vivian’s Tenderloin (or Hanger or Sirloin) Steak
Courtesy of Vivian Peterson of V Top Secret Chef
- 4 (8 ounce/225 g each) pieces of hanger steak, tenderloin, or sirloin fillets
- Kosher or truffle salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 sprigs thyme (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) high-smoke point oil
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to your preferred temperature for steak (rare – 120F/49C; medium rare – 130F/54.5C; medium – 140F/60C; medium well – 150F/65.5C; well done – 160F/71C)
- Season steaks generously with salt and pepper.
- Put the fillets in a single layer into cooking pouch(es), along with thyme and garlic if using, and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch(es) in water oven to cook for at least 45 minutes to one hour (tenderloin) and at least 4 and up to 12 hours (sirloin or hanger steak) for a 1-inch-thick/2.5 cm steak.
- When ready to serve, add oil to heavy bottomed stainless steel or cast iron skillet over high heat until oil is beginning to smoke.
- Remove steaks from pouch(es) and carefully pat dry on paper towels.
- Sear the steaks in the smoking oil until well browned on both sides, about 2 minutes total. Serve!
Learn more about this Seattle Sous Vide Cooking class here.
Like this? Why not share it: