Duck Legs Confit
For the ducks legs
- 2 duck legs
- Sea salt, to taste
- French Quatre Epices (Four Spice) mixture (recipe follows)
For the Quatre Epices
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground cloves
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 176F/80C.*
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the Quatre Epices and mix well.
- Season the duck legs lightly with salt and then liberally with the Quatre Epices. (Store any leftover spice mixture in an air tight container for future use.)
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 8 to 10 hours.
- Prior to serving, heat the traditional oven broiler to high heat.**
- Remove the legs from the pouch, pat dry, put onto a broiler pan, and sear under the broiler for 6 to 8 minutes to crisp the skin.
* It can be convenient to cook the legs overnight, quick chill them in their pouches submerged in ice water (half ice/half water) for 30 minutes, then refrigerate. Reheat the legs, in their pouches at cooking temperature in the water oven for 20 to 30 minutes and proceed with step 5. Cook multiple pouches at once, quick chill, label each with date and contents, and freeze. Reheat in the water oven for 40 minutes before finishing in the broiler.
**The crisping can also be done with a kitchen torch or in a very hot skillet.