Sauce Provencal (Provençal Tomato Sauce)
Makes about 1 cup (240 ml)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ small onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 5 or 6 large basil leaves, chopped
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme, stripped for leaves
- 1 small handful fresh parsley, stemmed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 182F/83C.
- Put all ingredients into a small (quart/0.9 liter) cooking pouch and vacuum seal, keeping the tomatoes in a single layer for even cooking.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the pouch and when cool enough to handle, knead the sauce through the pouch to pop the tomatoes. (Or you can open the pouch and pour the sauce into a blender or food processor and pulse a few times to blend to a smoother consistency if you prefer.) It should be somewhat chunky.
To keep warm for serving: keep in (or return sauce to) a zip pouch, use the displacement method (Archimedes’ Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal; drop the pouch into a warm water oven.
Like this? Why not share it: