Gravlax (Cured Salmon)
From: SousVide The Art of Precision Cooking (www.souvidetools.com)
Makes about 6.5 ounces (600 g)
- 4 tablespoons (60 g) salt
- 4 tablespoons (60 g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) Powdered Smoke* (optional)
- 8 salmon portions (about 75 g each)
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 104F/40C.
- Mix together the salt and sugar and completely cover the salmon in the dry cure mixture. Let sit for 30 minutes, then rinse.
- Put the salmon portions into cooking pouches (individually or side-by-side in pairs) and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouches in the water oven to cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Quick chill the pouches to an ice water bath for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve as an appetizer or with toasted bagels, cream cheese, onions and capers for a traditional breakfast.
* Powdered Smoke is available through online retailers. You can instead use 6 hits of smoke from a Polyscience Smoking Gun to impart smoky flavor.
Like this? Why not share it: