Blood Orange Infused Syrup
Makes about 3 cups (720ml)
- 2 blood oranges, well washed and sliced
- 2 cups (380 g) Castor (superfine) sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (415 ml) water
- 2 ounces (60 ml) vodka
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 135F/57C.
- Put the blood orange slices, sugar, and water into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch and use the displacement method (Archimedes’ Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven to cook for 2 hours. A few times during the cooking process, lift the pouch and gently shake the contents to help dissolve the sugar.
- Remove the pouch from the water bath and quick chill, submerged in ice water (half ice/half water) for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the liquid through a sieve to remove the solids. (You can dehydrate the sugar-infused orange slices in a food dehydrator, if you like, or discard them. They make wonderful garnishes for desserts or a simple sweet, crunchy dessert on their own.)
- Add the vodka to the infusion to extend the shelf life and decant the finished product into a clean bottle with a lid or stopper. Store in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks to use in cocktails, such as our delicious MOMosa champagne cocktail (recipe below), or add to iced tea or sparkling water for a festive non-alcoholic libation.
Blood Orange MOMosa
Makes 1 cocktail
- 1 ounce (30 ml) Blood Orange Infused Syrup, chilled
- 4 ounces (120 ml) champagne or prosecco, well-chilled
- Optional garnishes – candied blood orange slice, blood orange peel twist, fresh strawberry, fresh blackberry.
- In a well-chilled champagne flute or small hurricane glass, put the syrup and top with the bubbly.
- Add a garnish, if desired, and enjoy immediately!
Like this? Why not share it: