Lemon Budino (An Italian Lemon Pudding)
Courtesy of Vicky McDonald
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) melted butter (for greasing ramekins)
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons (75 g) of sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon (7ml) grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) milk
- ¼ cup (35 g) all-purpose white flour
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) powdered sugar, to serve
- Use your water oven as a bain Marie: elevate the bottom perforated grill of the water oven on a non-rusting baking (or roasting) rack.
- Arrange four ramekins, about half filled with water, on the raised grill and fill the water oven until the water reaches half way up the side of the ramekins.
- Remove, empty, and dry the ramekins and grease each one with the melted butter.
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 185F/85C.
- Separate the eggs and put the yolks into a large bowl and reserve the whites for use later in the recipe.
- Add the sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, milk and flour to the egg yolks and beat well with a hand whisk, until all the ingredients are combined.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the eggs whites into the yolks, one third at a time until all the egg whites have been incorporated. Make sure not to over stir or it will deflate the mixture.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the four ramekins.
- Tent a square of aluminum foil over the ramekins to divert drips from the lid.
- Arrange the ramekins on the baking rack in the preheated water oven and set the timer for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the puddings from the water bath using an oven glove or tongs.
- Allow them to cool for ten minutes before serving.
- Dust with a sprinkling of powdered sugar, and serve with some freshly whipped cream, or vanilla ice-cream.
Like this? Why not share it: