Roasted Okra with Curried Lemon Yogurt
Courtesy of Chef Jason Wilson (Crush, Seattle, WA)
- 2 pounds (.9 kg) fresh okra, washed, patted dry, and tops trimmed
- Kosher salt (divided use)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon +1 teaspoon (20 ml) lemon zest (divided use)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) red curry paste (or 2 teaspoons/10 ml powder)
- 1 cup (240 ml) fresh Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup (10 g) chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup (10 g) chopped fresh cilantro
- Fill and preheat the Sous Vide Supreme water oven to 178F/81C.
- Toss the okra in ½ tablespoon (7.5 ml) of the salt, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the olive oil and 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of the lemon zest.
- Put the okra, in a single layer, into one or more cooking pouch(es) and vacuum seal
- Submerge the pouch(es) in the water oven and cook for 1 hour.
- When cooked, open the pouch(es) and drain the accumulated pouch liquid into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the red curry paste, remaining lemon zest, and yogurt into the pouch liquid to make the sauce for the okra. Set aside for serving.
- Pat the okra dry with paper towels (kitchen paper) in preparation for frying
- In a skillet, on the stovetop, over medium high heat, add the remaining olive oil and when hot, pan fry the okra for 2 to 3 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- Season with salt to taste and toss with the mint and cilantro.
- Serve on a puddle of the yogurt sauce or serve the sauce on the side.
Like this? Why not share it: