For the meat
- 1 pound (0.9 kg) flank steak – OR –
- 1 pound (0.9 kg) chicken tenders, cut into bite sized pieces
For the spice mix
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) paprika
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion powder
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) dry mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.6 ml) cayenne pepper (or to taste)
For the vegetables
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and sliced
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
Additional for assembly
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 ½ cups (about 6 ounces/180 g) Mexican blend cheese
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) sour cream, optional
- 4 lime wedges
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven and set the temperature to 130F/54.5C for steak or 146F/63.5C for chicken.
- Combine all spice mix ingredients and use to season the meat on all sides; put meat into a cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge in the water oven to cook (steak for 4 hours/ chicken for 1 hour.
- Prior to serving, heat olive oil in a skillet on the stovetop and sauté the bell pepper and onions until lightly golden on the edges. Keep warm for assembly.
- Remove the steak from the water oven and pat dry.
- Preheat a lightly oiled griddle on the stovetop and sear the meat on both sides to impart flavor. Cool a moment and then, if using steak, slice it into strips for assembly.
- Assemble the quesadillas: lay out 4 tortillas and top with half the cheese. Divide the meat, cooked vegetables among them, and top with remaining cheese. Top with another tortilla.
- Toast the quesadillas on the griddle until beginning to brown on the bottom, then flip and brown the other side, giving the cheese plenty of time to melt.
- Cut each quesadilla into wedges; scatter the diced tomatoes and cilantro over the tops and serve with sour cream and lime wedges.
Like this? Why not share it: