Courtesy of Chef Michael Solomonov (Zahav/Philadelphia)
- 4 king salmon fillets, skinned and pin boned
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel seed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 1 fennel bulb, halved and sliced into ¼ inch “wings”
- 2 ounces good olive oil
- 1 small handful pea tops
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 122F /50C.
- Season the fillets of salmon, thoroughly, with the dried spices and place, uniformly, into vacuum pouches.
- Seal and refrigerate for a half hour.
- Submerge the pouch into the water oven and cook for 22 minutes.
- While the salmon is poaching, warm up a medium sized sauté pan and add the olive oil. Immediately add the fennel slices and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Brown the fennel, about 5 minutes, flipping to cook the other side for an additional 3 minutes.
- Drop the pea tops into the pan and toss gently, off of the heat, to lightly wilt.
- Remove the fennel and the pea tops from the pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Remove the salmon from the pouch, drain or you can quickly sear the surface with a torch, if desired.
- Serve with fennel and pea tops and your favorite veggie sides.