Serves 4 to 6
- 3 tablespoons (42 g) unsalted butter
- 1 bag (1 pound/450 g) baby carrots
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25 ml) white pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) orange zest
- 1 quart (0.9 liters) vegetable stock
- Chopped fresh herbs (dill, chives, fennel, thyme) for garnish
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 180F/82C.
- Put all ingredients except the vegetable stock and garnishing herbs into a large cooking pouch and vacuum seal. (Arrange the carrots in a single layer for even cooking.)
- Submerge the pouch in the water bath and cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour or longer, until the carrots are quite tender when you press them through the pouch.
- When the carrots have cooked, remove from the water bath, open the pouch and pour the cooked carrots into a soup pot.
- Add the vegetable stock, and puree with a stick (immersion) blender (or in batches in a food processor or blender and return to the pot); cover and keep warm.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh herbs.
Here are some time-saving tips…
- Prepare the soup in advance, pour the finished soup it into a large zip-closure cooking pouch, and use the displacement method (Archimedes’ principle) to remove the air. Return the pouch to the preheated water bath set at 165F/74C to keep warm until you’re ready to garnish and serve. (No risk of scorching on a stove top.)
- If not planning to serve right away, quick chill the soup in its pouch in an ice water bath for 30 minutes and refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Reheat for 30 minutes right in the pouch in the SousVide Supreme water bath set to 165F/74C, garnish and serve.
- Cook two pouches of carrots and instead of pureeing both, use the second as a delicious side dish of Ginger Scented Carrots.