Eggs Scrambled in the French Manner

Apart from slaving over a hot bain Marie, stirring constantly for twenty minutes or more, there simply used to be no other way to produce scrambled eggs in the French style.  You know the ones I mean–those with the delicate consistency of a velvety custard.  And that kind of hands-on time commitment meant that for all but the most dedicated cook, these fabulous eggs were a treat to be had on special weekends.

Eggs Scrambled in the French Manner

All that changed with the arrival of the SousVide Supreme.  Now it’s something so easy and foolproof that anyone can do it…for one or two or ten.  And requires so little hands-on time that you might decide to make them any old morning before going to work or school.  Like these eggs above, made on a busy Tuesday morning.

Here’s how simple it is:

Eggs Scrambled in the French Manner

Makes 2 servings

INGREDIENTS

• 5 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
  • 1 generous tablespoon unsalted butter
  • pinch of truffle salt (if you have it) or sea salt

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 167F/75C.
  2. Beat the eggs, cream and butter well and pour into a food-grade, plastic vacuum pouch, suitable for cooking.Let the bag hang over the edge of your counter, holding it securely, so that gravity helps keep the liquid in the bottom of the bag.  Vacuum as much air from the bag as is possible (which with a typical home suction system won’t be much) and before the liquid escapes into the vac chamber, seal it. (Conversely, just express as much air as you can manually and seal the bag, sans vacuum.)
  3. Drop the bag into the SousVide Supreme water bath.
  4. Set the timer for 10 minutes and at that point, pull the p0uch out, massage the egg mixture through the plastic for a moment and return it to the bath.
  5. Set the timer for 5 more minutes.
  6. Pull the pouch from the SousVide Supreme and gently massage the pouch.
  7. Divide the cooked eggs between two bowls, sprinkle a bit more truffle salt on top, grind a bit of black pepper over them, and enjoy the most delectable scrambled eggs imaginable.

18 Responses to Eggs Scrambled in the French Manner

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Eggs Scrambled in the French Manner « Sous Vide Supreme -- Topsy.com

2. Guy says:

Yum! Thanks for posting, Dr. Eades. I look forward to many more recipes.

I was wondering how best to use the machine to make morning eggs, though. Would you leave it on overnight so it would be warm in the morning or does it not take long to heat the water? Or will hot tap water get you going faster?

3. mrfreddy says:

Hiya MD!
    You managed to befuddle me (not hard to do!) on step 3… “let the bag hang over the counter” wha?? Do you mean to hold the bag so that the top part, above the eggs in the bottom of the bag, is flat on the counter, and the eggy stuff in the bottom of the bag are hanging over the edge of the counter?
    -the idea being to keep the eggs away from the vacuum, right? If that’s the idea, you could also lay the bag on the counter, and drape the top half over a thickish cutting board?

Anyway, can’t wait to get a machine and try this.

4. Eivind says:

Looks fabulous. Some lessons I learned after first trial run:

1) Egg mixture is a great way to mess up a Foodsaver, this is probably much more of a ziplock-type dish

2) If you _do_ try to use a Foodsaver bag, don’t skimp on the size of the bag. The egg mixture goes surprisingly far and ruins the seal.

3) When you change bags in disgust and transfer the eggs to a new bag, check that the butter also makes it to the new destination. Finding out that the butter went in the garbage after the bag has been sealed and put into water detracts from the experience.

4) One of the purported great advantages of sous vide cooking of veggies and beef is that they are supposedly not very sensitive to time.

Eggs, on the other hand, are. Putting kids to bed and reading for 30-40 minutes as the dish settles is therefore not a good idea.

5) Even seemingly idiot-proof recipes are not, when confronted by dunder-headed would-be chefs.

6) My wife luckily will eat mediocre scrambled eggs too :-)

Anyway – thanks a lot for the recipe – keep them coming! I WILL try this again. And the next time I’ll succeed too.

And good luck selling the Sous Vide Supreme, I’m very tempted to upgrade my rice cooker / PID to this baby.

5. Pingback: uberVU - social comments

6. Dr. Mary Dan says:

Hiya, Mr. F– The hang the bag over the counter is to avoid the mess that a previous commenter wrote of experiencing. Gravity helps to keep the egg mixture down in the bag and lets you more precisely vacuum and seal. But you do have to be quick on the sealing button to keep the eggs in their place.

Best–
    MD

7. Dr. Mary Dan says:

Hot tap water will get you to about 120ish (in most houses) and make the warm up much quicker–maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

8. Rabbi Hirsch Meisels says:

In your instruction clip you show putting the finished meat into foaming butter. I was wondering if there can be something non-dairy to substitute this? Jewish people refrain from using dairy in meat dishes.
    Would palm oil work as well?
    Thanks.

Rabbi Hirsch Meisels
    Jewish Friends With Diabetes International

9. Bob Muir says:

@Rabbi

Coconut oil should work great, although I haven’t tried it yet. Can’t wait for my SVS!

10. Pingback: Saturday catching up post | The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

11. I tried this and the results were, uh, interesting… I may have taken it out too soon. Gonna have to try again, I remember Heston’s eggs were amazing. Mine, not so much!

Btw, how does one go about dividing this recipe for, say, just two eggs? (My wife doesn’t trust me or the machine just yet!) Should I use the same timings, ie. 10 minutes,massage, 5 minute massage and serve?

12. Downtown says:

Great recipe. I made it this morning for the GF. Substituted sour cream for the half-and-half and added an extra minute or two to the second bath.

I was told my addition of grated duck prosciutto (props to M. Ruhlman’s “Charcuterie”) atop the eggs was an inspired [and delicious!] choice.

13. Guy says:

This comes out to runny for my liking (although tasty). Could anyone advise me as to whether I should go to a higher temp or add more time for firmer, most scrambled-like consistency?

BTW, you can also make nice custard-like soft boiled eggs by just putting eggs in the bath at 63 C as mentioned here: http://cookingissues.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/sous-vide-intensive/

14. Downtown says:

Guy — Try for more time. Give it 3-4 minutes longer.

15. Scott says:

If you use a long foodsaver bag (3 feet or more) and hang it over the side, the pump isn’t strong enough to pull the egg out and you can remove nearly all the air (and don’t need to be fast on the seal button).

16. Sharon says:

Since it is okay to freeze beat up eggs, the second time I tried this recipe, I froze the unsealed egg mixture in the bag, then vacuum sealed it after it was frozen. I put the bag of frozen eggs into the refrigerator the day before I intended to cook the eggs. This worked great.

I haven’t tried cooking the eggs from the frozen state but it would probably work as well.

I intend to freeze a batch of these so I will have a ready supply.

17. You can easily vacuum pack liquids with a home vacuum sealer like the foodsaver using the 2 bags trick, it’s very simple and works a charm. I show how on my blog check this link out.

BTW those scramble eggs are to die for, they are amazing.

N.