Courtesy of Barbara Westfield
- 4 large ghioggia (candy striped) beets
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) softened butter
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, stripped for leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 185F/85C.
- Trim the root and tops of the beets, if necessary, and scrub them thoroughly with a brush under running water. Pat dry and slice the beets in 1/2-inch thick slices to show their concentric candy cane stripes.
- Put the beets into appropriately sized cooking pouch(es), taking care that they are in a single layer; add the butter, thyme, salt and pepper and vacuum/seal.
- Put the pouch into the universal pouch rack and be sure the beets are fully submerged below the surface of the water bath.
- Cook for at least 1 to 2 hours, but up to 4 hours will not significantly affect their texture.
- When cooking time has elapsed, remove pouch from water oven. The beets are delicious straight from the pouch.