Recipe and photo courtesy of Jaimi Aburto
- New York strip steak 1” inch thick and about 10 ounces
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter for searing
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter for prep
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 cup arugula
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 scallion, trimmed and green parts sliced in rings
For the vinaigrette
- 3.5 ounces/100 ml organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 ounces/50 ml white vinegar
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- Fill and preheat the sous vide water oven to 127F/53C.
- Season the steak liberally with salt and pepper and put into a cooking pouch along with the butter and thyme.
- Submerge in water oven and set timer for 2 hours (or up to 4 hours).
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette:
- combine all vinaigrette ingredients and season lightly with salt and pepper
- emulsify using a hand blender
- taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Put the spinach, arugula, scallions and cherry tomatoes into a bowl and set aside until ready to serve.
- When steak is close to finished, preheat a cast iron pan on stove top on high heat.
- Remove steak from cooking pouch and discarding thyme sprigs.
- Add clarified butter to hot pan and sear the steak on each side for about 1 to 2 minutes or until you achieve a golden brown sear.
- Remove from heat and slice.
- Toss salad with the vinaigrette and top with avocado; serve alongside steak. Scatter scallion rings over the plate and enjoy!