Makes about 1 quart
- 3 egg yolks
- ¾ cup Castor (superfine) sugar
- 3 cups half and half
- 3/4 teaspoon Cremodan-30 emulsifier*
- ¼ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Chocolate shavings and mint sprigs, for garnish, if desired.
*Cremodan-30 emulsifier is available on Amazon and elsewhere and is used to stabilize the frozen mixture, keeping it smoother and hindering ice crystal formation. Its use is optional.
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 140F/60C.
- In a blender jar, put the egg yolks and beat lightly. Add the sugar and beat again until smooth.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except the chopped chocolate, and blend again until well mixed and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch and use the displacement method to remove the air and zip the seal.
- Submerge and cook in the water oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the pouch and quick chill in an ice-water bath (half ice, half water) for at least 30 minutes, then refrigerate until well chilled. Several hours to overnight, if possible.
- Pour the custard mixture into your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- When the ice creamed reaches a thick, almost finished consistency, add the chopped chocolate while churning and allow the pieces to fold in throughout.
- Eat as soft churned ice cream immediately or spoon into a freezer container, cover, and firm the finished product in the freezer for an hour or more.