Pineapple Caribbean Jerk Filet Mignon Sous Vide
Courtesy of Juli Bauer of paleOMG.com
For the filet mignon
- 1 TX Bar Organics Filet Mignon
- 1 slice bacon
- ½ cup (114 g) chopped pineapple
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) diced red onion
- ¼ teaspoon (2.5 ml) minced jalapeno
For the sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) coconut aminos
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 lime, for juice only
- 1 teaspoon (10 ml) dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon (2.5 ml) cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon (12.5 ml) ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoons (1.25 ml)ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 134F/56.5C.
- Put all sauce ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Put the filet into a small (quart/0.9 liter) cooking pouch and pour the seasoning sauce over the meat, reserving about 3 or 4 tablespoons (45 to 60 ml) of the sauce for later use.
- Vacuum seal the pouch, taking care not to pull the sauce into the suction chamber, if using a suction vacuum sealer.
- Submerge the pouch the water oven to cook for 2 hours. (4 hours max)
- When ready to finish, remove the pouch from the water oven and the filet from the pouch. Pat the meat dry.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around the edge of the filet and secure it to the meat with a toothpick, so that it is nice and snug.
- Heat a small skillet over medium high heat and when it is very hot, roll the bacon –covered side of the meat over the hot surface to release some of the fat to cook the meat on.
- Continue to roll and sear until the bacon is fully cooked all around, about a minute each side, then sear both sides of the filet in the accumulated bacon fat, until nicely browned, no more than a minute per side.
- When ready to serve, add the pineapple, onion, and jalapeno to the reserved sauce and mix well.
- Slice the filet and top with the pineapple mixture.
- Eat up buttercup