Want to entertain a crowd on a budget and spend it enjoying it yourself instead of slaving away in the kitchen while your guests have all the fun? Throw a Sous Vide Omelette Party! Your guests have fun assembling and cooking their own sous vide omelette and everybody gets his or her version of perfection. Add a big bowl of fresh fruit salad and a pitcher of Mimosas or Bloody Marys and you’re set!
Here’s what you’ll need and how to do it:
Per person (or actually per omelette) you’ll need:
1 small zip-closure cooking pouch
3 eggs, well-beaten
salt and pepper
Add-in ingredients of choice
Suggested add-in ingredients: chopped smoked salmon, diced ham, diced turkey, chopped scallions, diced tomatoes, shredded cheeses, small cubes of cream cheese, minced chives, and sautéed mushrooms, onions, bell pepper or hot chili peppers.
- Fill and preheat one or more SousVide Supreme water ovens to 167F/75C. (You can fit 16 to 20 individual servings in a standard size SousVide Supreme water bath, so you’ll need to invite lots of guests to require more than one machine.)
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs (use 3 for each omelet you wish to make) and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Guests each take a zip closure pouch and put 1/2 cup (120 ml) beaten eggs into the pouch, then add 3 or 4 tablespoons (45 to 60ml) of their favorite add-in ingredients.
- Use the Archimedes Principle to remove the air from each pouch and zip it closed.
- Submerge the pouches in the water oven and cook for 20 minutes, until the eggs are set.
- Slide the omelette out of the pouches onto serving plates.
- Enjoy with a fresh fruit salad and your favorite tasty adult brunch beverage.