Recipe courtesy of Sharone Hakman
- 1-1/2 pound flat iron steak
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 6 ounces blue cheese crumbles
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 131F/55C.
- Season the steak lightly with salt and pepper, put into a food-grade cooking pouch, and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for at least 1 hour. (If you have time, do this the night before and, after cooking, quick chill the steak submerged in its pouch in an ice water bath (half ice/half water) for 30 minutes and refrigerate overnight. Bring the steak to room temperature while you continue with the recipe.)
- Put the olive oil into a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions until caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar to the onions and stir to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, deglaze the pan with the bourbon, scraping up all brown bits of flavor.
- Transfer the onions to a platter and keep warm.
- Wipe out the pan and return to the medium high heat.
- Remove the steak from the pouch and pat it dry with paper towels.
- In the hot skillet, sear the steak for color and to warm slightly, about 1 minute a side.
- Slice the steak against the grain and arrange on serving plates.
- Top with caramelized onions and blue cheese crumbles and serve.
Share This Recipe with Friends!