Serves 1 to 4
Time: 4 to 8 hours
1 to 4 double thick boneless pork chops (about 2-inches/5cm thick)
coarse salt (omit if brining chops)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
bacon fat and/or butter (optional)
1. For best results, brine the pork chops beforehand in the refrigerator.
a) Make the brining solution by dissolving 1/4 cup (60g) kosher salt in 1 quart (liter) of water in a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip closure bag or large covered container.
b) Put the chops into the brine, seal or cover, and refrigerate 4 hours or up to overnight.
c) When ready to cook, remove the chops from the brine and discard the brining liquid. Rinse the chops in cold water. Pat dry.
2. Fill and preheat SousVide Supreme to desired level of doneness (134F/56.5C for medium rare; 138F/58C for medium).
3. Sprinkle the chops lightly on both sides with each of the seasonings, omitting the salt if you brined the chops beforehand.
4. Put one or two seasoned chops, along with a generous tablespoon of bacon fat or butter, if desired, into each cooking pouch and vacuum/seal.
5. Put the pouch(es) into the pouch rack in the SousVide Supreme water oven. Be sure that all the meat is fully submerged below the surface of the water in the bath.
6. Cook at the target temperature for at least 4 hours, but no more than 8.
7. When ready to serve, remove pouch(es) from the water bath and put them into inverted lid to cool for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature before proceeding . (At this point you may also quick chill, submerged in ice water for at least 1 hour and store in the refrigerator for use within 48hours or freeze after chilling for up to a year.)
8. Sear the chops before serving to give them a nice golden color and savory flavor. Here are three methods:
- On the stovetop: Melt 2 tablespoons (30 g) of butter or vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat. When it foams, place the chops into the skillet to gently reheat and brown for approximately 1 minute on each side.
- On the grill: Oil the grates of the grill. Preheat the grill to hot (450F/232C) to (500F/260C). Sear chops on the grill for 1 minute per side.
- With a kitchen torch: Place a pat of soft butter onto each chop and sear the surface with the flame with a slow, gentle motion.
9. Place each chop on a warmed plate. If you seared on the stovetop, pour any remaining browned butter over the chops.