Tuscan Rib Eye Steak
With Bacon Potatoes & Balsamic Onions
Courtesy of Chef Jason Wilson (Crush, Seattle)
Watch the Sous Vide Gourmet Cooking Video Series to see how to prepare this dish.
For the potatoes
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) rendered bacon fat
- 4 sprigs thyme
- kosher salt as needed to season
- 3/4 pound (12 ounces/135g) fingerling potatoes, washed
For the onions
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) honey
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) orange zest
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt
- 2/3 cup (5 ounces/87g) sliced red onions
For the steaks
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) ground fennel
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped anchovies
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chopped rosemary
- 4 (10 to 12 ounce/300 to 360 g) natural boneless rib eye steaks
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 168F/75.5C.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the bacon fat, thyme, and 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Slice the fingerling potatoes into 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) coins, toss them in bacon fat; put the fat mixture and potatoes into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, simmer the honey, butter, orange zest, and balsamic vinegar for 5 minutes.
- Season the onions with kosher salt, add them to the skillet and toss to coat.
- Pour the onions into a small (quart/0.9 liter) cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch of onions in the water oven and cook them, along with the potatoes, for 30 minutes.
- When the cooking time for the vegetables has elapsed, reset the temperature of the water oven to 134F/56.5C. Add some cold water or ice cubes to drop the temperature more quickly. (If you have room, you can leave the vegetables in the water along with the steaks. If not, remove and wrap the vegetable pouches in foil to keep warm.)
- Meanwhile make the marinade, in a skillet over medium heat; warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and simmer the garlic until golden brown, roughly 4 minutes, then add the black pepper, fennel, anchovies, parsley and rosemary. Remove from heat.
- Lightly season the steaks with kosher salt and rub the marinade over both sides.
- Put the steaks into individual small (quart/0.9 liter) cooking pouches and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the steaks in the water oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Heat a lightly oiled grill or cast iron pan to high heat, remove the steaks from the vacuum pouch, and finish them with a quick sear to caramelize the surface.
- Warm the potatoes and onions, if needed, and plate the dish.
For presentation: Layer the potatoes on the plate and nest the onions to the side. Slice the steak and arrange it atop the potatoes and onions. Garnish with a sprinkling of fresh chives, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a sprinkle of black pepper, and a drizzle of the sauce from the onions.