Craig’s Potato Salad
Courtesy of Chef Craig Plainfield
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup (about 2 stalks) celery, trimmed and diced
- 3/4 cup (about 6) green onions, trimmed and diced
- 3/4 cup (about 1 ½) red or green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- ½ cup (about 8 slices) crisp bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml volume) dill pickles, chopped
- ½ cup (120 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 ml) white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) smoked salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili flakes, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- ½ cup (120 ml) mayonnaise, homemade or a top quality brand
- ½ cup (120 ml) thick Greek-style yogurt
- Fill and preheat the Sous Vide Supreme water oven to 167 degrees.
- Put the eggs, in their shells, directly into the water oven (no pouch needed) and cook for 45 minutes. Remove the eggs and submerge in an ice water bath until cold.
- Raise the temperature of the water oven to 183F/84C.
- Put the diced potatoes, in a single layer, into a cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch and cook the potatoes for 1 hour.
- Remove the pouch and squeeze a potato cube through the pouch to test doneness. It should crush with just a bit of yield. If the potatoes are not done return them to the water oven and cook them until they are done.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add the celery, green onions, peppers, bacon, and pickles and combine. Peel and dice the eggs and add them to the bowl. Toss together all of the ingredients until completely mixed.
- Remove the potatoes from the water oven and open the pouch. Drain away any pouch liquid and pour the potatoes into the bowl on top of the vegetables.
- Immediately drizzle the oil over the hot potatoes. Then drizzle the vinegar over the potatoes. Then sprinkle the salt, pepper and chili flakes over the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, mix the mustard, mayonnaise, and yogurt together and pour this dressing over the potatoes.
- Mix the salad very gently but thoroughly. Chill well and serve.