Deconstructed Buffalo Wings
Time: 4 hours
Temperature: 145F / 63C
30 chicken wings drumette and wing tip removed
2 ounces all purpose flour
heat-stable vegetable oil for frying
1 recipe Celery Emulsification (recipe follows)
1 recipe Blue Cheese Mousse (recipe follows)
3 ounces (45 ml) Frank’s Original Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce (or your favorite hot pepper sauce)
3 ounces (85 g) cold unsalted butter
3 ounces (85 g) caramelized walnuts (recipe follows)
3 ounces (85 g) blue cheese (or Roquefort blue)
½ ounce (15 ml) lemon vinaigrette
celery leaves, for garnish
For Celery Emuilsification – Yields 8 oz
½ stalk (4 to 6 ribs) celery
½ gram xanthan gum
For Blue Cheese Mousse
12 ounces (360 g) chicken breast, boneless, skinless, and trimmed
2 ounces (30 ml) heavy cream
6 ounces (170 g) blue cheese (or Roquefort)
Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
For Caramelized Walnuts
3 ounces (85 g) shelled walnuts
½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) sugar
pinch cayenne pepper
For the Chicken Wings
- Prepare the Blue Cheese Mousse (see below)
- Fill and preheat SousVide Supreme to 145F/63C
- Using a heavy duty French knife or cleaver, cut off both ends of the chicken wings removing the joints.
- Using toweling, push down on the wing to remove the meat from the bones. This will allow for the 2 bones to be removed. Reserve the thin bone and discard the thick. Keep refrigerated and repeat process until all wings are cleaned.
- Fill each wing with a generous quantity of the Blue Cheese Mousse using a pastry bag.
- Open up a sheet of plastic wrap and place 5 of the filled wings end to end on the plastic wrap. Form into a roll while crimping the plastic as you are rolling to keep a cylindrical shape to the wings. Tie both ends with twine or a small strip of plastic wrap so that the cylinders are air tight. Repeat process until all of the wings have been rolled.
- Put the rolls into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch and vacuum seal. Do not overfill the pouch; use additional pouches if needed.
- Put pouch(es) into the water oven and cook for about 1 hour or until the wings are cooked through.
- When the wings have finished cooking, remove them and cool to room temperature.
- Put the reserved wing bones into a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Strain and run under cold water. Scrape each bone with a small paring knife to clean thoroughly and set aside for use in plating.
- Meanwhile, make the Celery Emusification (see below.)
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350F/176C.
- Remove the chicken wings from the plastic wrap, trim the ends and cut each roll into 5 pieces (gelatin from the chicken likely to have bound them together). Toss each piece in the flour, remove excess, and deep fry until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to paper toweling to drain of excess oil.
- Warm the Frank’s Original Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce in a sauce pan over low heat until warm. Add the butter, whisking continuously, to emulsify.
- Add the fried chicken wings to the sauce.
For plating the wings
- On 6 rectangular plates with a rim, spoon a line of the Celery Emulsion down the center.
- Arrange the chicken wings one by one (5/plate) across the celery emulsion.
- Insert a reserved bone into each chicken wing, like a popsicle stick.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the celery leaves, Caramelized Walnuts and blue cheese and toss lightly with the lemon vinaigrette. Randomly scatter the mixture between the wings.
- Spoon a small amount of the hot sauce around the plate.
For Blue Cheese Mousse
- Refrigerate the bowl and blade of a food processor 1 hour prior to making the mousse.
- Process the chicken breast in the food processor until coarsely chopped.
- Add egg and process to incorporate.
- With the motor running, slowly add half the cream. Remove the cover, scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula, and slowly incorporate the remainder of the cream while processing.
- For a finer textured mousse, pass through a drum sieve into a mixing bowl fitted on ice over another bowl.
- Fold in the cheese and season with salt and cayenne pepper. Make a test by dropping a small amount of the mousse into a pot of simmering water, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer to a piping bag and keep refrigerated until ready to fill wings.
For the celery emulsification
1. Put the celery in a Vita-Prep blender and process for 3 minutes, gradually increasing speed to high puree the celery.
2. Strain through a fine meshed chinois (should yield 1 cup of ‘celery juice’).
3. Add xanathan gum and return to blender and process until incorporated.
4. Dip a spoon into the sauce and remove; the sauce should coat the back of the spoon.
5. Cover sauce and keep refrigerated until ready to plate the dish.
For the caramelized walnuts
1. Preheat traditional oven to 350F/176C.
2. Combine all ingredients in a small sauté pan and put into the oven for 4 minutes.
3. Open door, shake pan, and return to oven for another 4 minutes.
4. Remove and let nuts cool to room temperature.
5. Chop nuts into coarse pieces and set aside, covered at room temperature until ready to use.
Like this? Why not share it: