Corned Beef and Cabbage
In the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day, try out this festive new sous vide recipe for corned beef and cabbage. This recipe is from our SousVide Supreme One Pot cookbook.
Time: 48 Hours
Serves: 6 to 8
- 4 pounds (1.81 kg) of corned beef
- 6 slices of bacon, cut into ½ inch (1.3 cm) strips
- 1 head of cabbage, cut into 1-inch (3 cm) strips
- 2 cups (470 ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) champagne vinegar
- Pre-heat the water oven to 134ºF/56ºC.
- Put the corned beef into a cooking pouch and vacuum/seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for 48 hours
- About 45 minutes before you are ready to serve the meal, prepare the cabbage.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon pieces until they are crisp and the fat is rendered. Pour off all but 1-2 tablespoons (15 to 30 ml) of the bacon fat.
- Add the cabbage strips to the skillet, raise the heat to medium-high, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and the vinegar to the pan and continue to cook the cabbage in the liquid until tender.
- When the cabbage is almost tender, remove the corned beef from the water bath and the cooking pouch.
- To serve, slice the corned beef into 1/2″ – 3/4″ (1.3 cm – 2 cm) slices and serve atop the cabbage.