Sous Vide Bounet
- 12 ounces (350 ml) milk
- 10 pairs (50 g) Amaretti di Sorrono cookies (plus 2 pairs reserved for decoration)
- 2 tablelspoons (25 g) cocoa powder, plus a bit more for decoration
- 1 1/2 ounces (50 ml) dark rum
- 5 tablespoons (75 g) vanilla sugar*
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 5 egg yolks
*Store granulated table sugar in a tightly-sealed container with previously-used vanilla beans to make your own cheap and delicious vanilla sugar!
- Preheat the traditional oven to 250F/120C.
- While it’s heating, elevate the perforated bottom grill of the SousVide Supreme water bath by placing it atop a non-rusting wire cooking rack or adjustable roasting rack.
- Fill the ramekins you will use to cook your bounet with water and position them on the perforated bottom rack of the SousVide Supreme.
- Fill the machine with just enough water to come within ½ inch (1.25 cm) of the top of the ramekin. Remove and empty he ramekins and dry them well.
- Put the dry ramekins onto a baking tray and into the preheated oven to heat them so the caramel will not solidify too quickly.
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 185F-194F/85-90C.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the vanilla sugar until the sugar has dissolved and the yolks are a pale yellow cream (about 2 minutes).
- Grind the 10 pairs of amaretti into powder using a food processor or a rolling pin.
- Add the cocoa powder, ground amaretti, rum and milk to the egg mixture and whisk until all the ingredients are mixed and there are no lumps.
- In a saucepan, make the caramel.
- Put the sugar into the pan.
- Add a tiny bit of water, stirring so it just dissolves
- Cook over high heat without stirring too much until it is amber in color.
- Remove the preheated ramekins from the oven and pour the caramel quickly into them before it becomes too dark.
- Pour the bounet mixture into the ramekins and carefully place them onto the perforated grill in the water oven.
- Cook for 45 minutes with the lid on the water bath.
- When the bounet have set (a knife blade inserted into one should come out clean) remove the ramekins from water bath and let them cool to room temperature.
- Turn each bounet out onto a dessert plate (if necessary, use a knife to loosen the edge) and let the caramel sauce flow over it.
- Decorate with an amaretto cookie and a dusting of cocoa powder.
Like this? Why not share it: