Maple Soy Cured Sous Vide Salmon Belly
Courtesy of Stephane Lemangnen (zencancook.com)
For the cured salmon belly
- 1 pound (454 g) King salmon belly
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dark amber maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) soy sauce
For the stir-fry and soy ginger vinaigrette
- 4 ounces (114 g) soy beans, blanched
- 4 ounces (114 g) boiled peanuts
- 4 ounces (114 g) shimeji mushrooms
- pickled eggplant
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) maple syrup
- ¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- 1– inch (2.5 cm) piece fresh ginger – peeled and finely grated
- ½ cup (120 ml) peanut oil
To finish the dish
- 1 charcoal grill
- Binchō-tan charcoal
- Fleur de sel
- First, cure the salmon belly
- Combine the soy sauce and the maple syrup in a small bowl.
- Put the salmon belly into a cooking pouch or zip-closure bag and pour the mixture over it.
- Seal the pouch and marinate, refrigerated, for 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 122F/50C.
- Remove the salmon from the marinade; discard the marinade.
- Put the salmon belly into a clean cooking pouch and vacuum seal. (Vacuum on low if your sealer has this setting.)
- Submerge the pouch in the water and cook for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the stir-fry and soy ginger vinaigrette:
- In a stir-fry pan heat some peanut oil.
- In a bowl, combine the blanched soy beans, the boiled peanuts and the shimeji mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the pickled eggplant (found at Japanese stores) and cook for a few seconds more.
- Keep warm.
- Combine the rice vinegar, the maple syrup, the soy sauce and the grated ginger in a small bowl. Add the peanut oil and whisk until emulsified. Set aside.
To finish the dish:
- Prepare a charcoal grill outdoors or in a very well-ventilated place.
- When the fire has subsided and the coals are red hot place a grill on top.
- Grill the salmon on the hot coals until nicely caramelized on the outside.
- Sprinkle with fleur de sel.
- Serve with the soy bean stir-fry and the soy-ginger vinaigrette on the side.