1 cup (150 g) ripe strawberries, stemmed, washed, and quartered
1 cup (150 g) fresh blueberries, stemmed and washed
1/4 to 1/2 cup (48 to 96 g) granulated sugar*
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Fill and preheat the water oven to 180F/82C.
2. Put ripe berries into a small (quart/0.9 liter) cooking pouch. (Any soft-fleshed fruit—raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, nectarines, apricots, mango, or papaya—will work well.)
3. Add sugar (or a sugar substitute of equivalent sweetening power) to the pouch. Use more or less depending on the sweetness of the fruit and your own taste.
4. Add the juice of the lemon to the pouch and vacuum seal.
5. Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for about 30 minutes until the fruit is soft.
6. Remove from the water oven and mash through the pouch or if you prefer a smoother consistency, pour the contents into the blender or food processor and puree.
7. Chill and serve over ice cream, pound cake, or short cake.