Sous Vide Vanilla Butter Shrimps
Courtesy of Tom and Linda Ryalls of SVKitchen.com
Serves 4 as an appetizer or 2 as a main course
- 1 vanilla bean
- 12 ounces (12 large/300 g) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon piment d’Espelette (or substitute paprika or cayenne)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/2 stick (2 ounces/ 56 g) salted butter, cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- Chives, finely minced, optional garnish
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 136F/58C.
- Split vanilla bean in half and scrape out the seeds. (Retain the pod, if you’d like, and add it to a canister of sugar to impart a delicate vanilla flavor.)
- In a medium bowl, combine the vanilla seeds, shrimp, pimente d’Espelette, salt, and pepper.
- Put the shrimp into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch, add the butter to the pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove shrimp from pouch and serve, garnished with minced chives
- Three great ways to serve:
- transfer the shrimp along with the bag juices to a platter and serve with crusty bread
- spoon atop an avocado half (shown)
- toss with some hot buttered pasta