Tandoori Chicken Sous Vide
Courtesy of Recipe Contest Winner Sam Hussain
- 1 (2 pound/1 kg) chicken, legs and breast removed, skin scored
For the marinade
- 5 or 6 tablespoons (75 to 90 ml) natural yogurt
- 1tablespoon (15 ml) ground panch poran spice mix
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried methi leaves
- Pinch (about 1/4 teaspoon/1.25 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Kashmiri massala
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) tandoori paste
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) tikka paste
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) blended garlic and ginger
- 3 to 4 tablespoons (45 to 60 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) garden mint
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) red food coloring (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients for marinade well.
- Blot the chicken pieces well with a paper towel to remove most of the moisture.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade mixture, coating them well all over, so that the spice mixture will penetrate the chicken.
- Cover the bowl with cling film (plastic wrap) and leave to marinate for minimum of 2 to 3 hours or preferably overnight in the refrigerator.
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 134F/57C.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and put the pieces into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch in a single layer and vacuum seal, taking care not to pull the marinade coating up into the suction chamber.
- Submerge the pouch and cook for 1 and1/2 hours
- When the cooking time has almost elapsed, preheat a well-oiled grill or grill pan over high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the pouches and sear over high heat for 30 to 45 seconds per side to impart color, flavor, and grill marks.
- Serve with fresh mix salad and wedge of lemon on each plate.