Duck Confit Sous Vide
Recipe courtesy of Michael LaRoche, Head Butcher and Chef for Bill the Butcher
For the ducks legs
- 2 duck legs
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) duck fat
- salt and herb cure mix (recipe follows)
For the Salt and Herb Cure (enough for 2 duck legs)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) crushed black pepper
- crushed fresh herbs such as thyme, bay leaf, clove.
Adjust amounts to have even thorough coverage of the all duck legs you cook.
- Rub duck legs with the cure and refrigerate at least 8 hours, overnight if possible.
- Fill and preheat SousVide Supreme to 168F/75.5C.
- Gently rinse the salt cure off the duck legs and pat dry.
- Use a small sharp knife to carefully remove the skin from the legs in one whole piece, if possible, and set aside.
- Put the skinless duck legs into a cooking pouch with a dollop (a generous tablespoon/15ml) of duck fat per leg.
- Submerge the pouch in the SousVide Supreme for 12 hours.
- Prior to serving, crisp the duck skin in a skillet over low heat until browned.