Old Fashioned Bourbon Cordial
Makes about 2 quarts/liters
- 1.75 liters bourbon (or Irish whiskey)
- 2 large oranges (used for zest)
- 1 large jar (about 14 ounces/370 g) maraschino cherries
- 2 cups (480 ml) simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water, cooked over low heat until dissolved)
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 147F/64C.
- Remove just the zest from the oranges with a sharp vegetable peeler and put into a gallon (3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch (available on our site).
- Add the bourbon and the entire bottle of maraschino cherries and their syrup to the pouch.
- With the zip closure open, lower the pouchinto the water bath and as the closure nears the surface and the air has been forced out (by the weight of the water on either side of it) zip the seal closed and leave the pouch submerged.
- Let the bourbon ‘cook’ for 3 hours.
- Strain the bourbon (remove cherries and zest) over a large bowl and stir in the simple syrup.
- Pour into clean bottles with stoppers or lids and chill well.
- Enjoy over ice with a splash of soda or straight as a cordial.
Like this? Why not share it: