Mulled Wine Sous Vide
Makes about 12 servings
- 2 cups (480 ml) apple cider
- 1 cup (240 ml) orange juice
- 1 (750 ml) bottle full bodied red wine, such as Zinfandel or Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) whole allspice
- 2 oranges, sliced thinly, for garnish
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 137F/58C
- Put all ingredients into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip closure pouch and, using the displacement method (Archimedes’ Principle) remove the air from the pouch and zip the seal.
- Submerge the pouch to cook for 1 hour.
- Strain the wine through a fine mesh sieve into a pretty punch bowl, float the orange slices atop, and serve, hot.
- If not serving immediately, strain and return to the cooking pouch, zip the seal and quick chill in an ice bath (1/2 ice, 1/2 water) for 20 minutes and refrigerate until ready to reheat in the water oven (137F/58C for 30 minutes) or on the stovetop.
- Serve garnished, if desired, with a thin slice of orange floated atop the wine.
Like this? Why not share it: