Tikka Masala Sous Vide
Courtesy of Steve Cylka (theblackpeppercorn.com)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) butter
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 can (about 2 cups/240 ml) crushed or strained tomatoes
- 2 cups (480 ml) half-and-half (18%) cream
- 1-inch (2.5 cm) piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1½ tablespoons (22.5 ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) paprika
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cumin
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) turmeric
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) coriander
- 1½ teaspoons (7.5 ml) salt
- 2 cups (320 g) cooked rice, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 146F/63C.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the chicken breasts; put them and the butter into cooking pouches and vacuum seal.
- Into a blender or food processor, put the tomatoes, cream, ginger, garlic, honey and spices and process until smooth.
- Pour the sauce into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch. Use the displacement method (Archimedes Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal.
- Submerge the pouches of chicken and sauce in the water oven and cook for 2 hours.
1. Slice the chicken and drizzle generously with the tikka masala sauce.
2. Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro.