Borscht Sous Vide
- 4 large beets, peeled and sliced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 large Russet potato, peeled and sliced
- ½ head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 quarts (1.9 liters) beef or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (20 g) chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (240 ml) sour cream, for garnish
- Fresh dill fronds, for garnish
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme to 182F/83C.
- Put the beets, carrots, onion, and potato into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) cooking pouch in a single, even layer and vacuum seal. If necessary use two pouches to prevent overfilling.
- Put the cabbage in a separate large cooking pouch and vacuum seal.
- Submerge the pouches in the water oven to cook for at least 1 hour (and up to 3 hours) until quite tender.
- Remove the pouch(es) containing the beets, allow to cool enough to handle, and puree the vegetable mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- In a large soup pot, bring the beef broth to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in the beet puree, cooked cabbage, dill, vinegar, salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking.
- Ladle the borscht into warm bowls, top with a dollop of sour cream and a dill frond, and serve.
Like this? Why not share it: