Overnight Oatmeal with Stewed Fruit Compote
Courtesy of SousVide Supreme Culinary Specialist Sophie
Note: you can double the recipe in the same pouch for 4 servings but for more than 4 servings, use additional pouches
For the oatmeal
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 3 cups (710 ml) water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
For the stewed fruit compote
- ¾ cup ( 100g) dried fruit ( any mix of the following – cherries, blueberries, golden raisins, apricots, cranberries)
- 2 tablespoons( 25g) white sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) of water
- 2 drops of vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon, for zest, finely grated
- 1/2 orange, for zest, finely grated
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 155F/68C.
- Position a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch in a baggy rack. (If you don’t have a baggy rack, you can always ask someone to hold the bag open while you pour in the contents.)
- Pour the oatmeal, water, salt and cinnamon into the zip-closure cooking pouch, and use the displacement method (Archimedes’ principle) to remove the air and zip the seal closed.
- Submerge the sealed pouch in the water bath.
- Position a (quart/0.95 liter) zip-closure cooking pouch in a baggy rack and pour in the dried fruit, sugar, water, vanilla, orange and lemon zest. Use the displacement method (Archimedes’ principle) to remove the air and zip the seal closed.
- Submerge the pouch in the water bath alongside the oatmeal.
- Six to ten hours later, remove the pouches from the water bath. Give the oatmeal pouch a quick shake and pour straight into two bowls.
- Open the pouch with the stewed fruit, spoon the fruit compote on top of the oatmeal and enjoy.
Like this? Why not share it: