Fresh Ricotta Cheese Sous Vide
(Courtesy of Violet Willis, Kilby Ridge Farm, Dennysvile, ME)
- 3 quarts fresh milk (goat, cow, sheep, or combo)
- 6 ounces (180 ml) vinegar
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 172F/78C.
- Put the milk into a large (gallon/3.8 liter) zip closure cooking pouch; use the Archimedes Principle to remove most of the air and zip the seal.
- Submerge the pouch in the water bath and cook for 30 minutes until the milk is heated through.
- Open the pouch and add the vinegar. Stir gently and reseal the pouch.
- Continue to cook in the pouch for 15 minutes more.
- Remove the pouch from the water bath, open, and collect the curd that has floated to the top with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer the curd to a fine mesh sieve or colander, lined with four layers of cheesecloth and let it drain for about an hour.
- Enjoy the fresh cheese warm with a drizzle of honey or transfer to a tightly sealed container and refrigerate for several days.
Like this? Why not share it: