Pickled Sous Vide Vegetables
Courtesy of SousVide Supreme Culinary Specialist, Madeline Fiore
We use radishes or asparagus here, but any fresh spring vegetables will work as will those that come on later in the year. Pickle root vegetables, such as carrots or beets, as you would the radishes and tender vegetables, such as mushrooms, cucumbers, cauliflower or green beans, as you would the asparagus. Vegetables should be cut no more than 1/2″ (1.25 cm) thick in wedges or batons.
- 12 ounces (340g) radishes (trimmed, unpeeled, quartered) OR asparagus (woody ends trimmed)
- 2/3 cup (160ml) white wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup (160ml) water
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) sea salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) whole peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) yellow or brown mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon (1.25ml) coriander seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 bay leaf
- Optional: fresh chili pepper, sliced in half
- Fill and preheat the SousVide Supreme water oven to 190F (88C).
- If you’ve chosen the radishes then wash, trim, quarter and put into a large zip pouch in a single layer. If you’ve chosen the asparagus then wash and trim off the woody ends and put into a large zip pouch (or, if you have a chamber vacuum sealer, in a chamber vacuum pouch) in a single layer.
- Bring all of the remaining ingredients to a boil on a traditional stovetop and stir gently until the sugar is melted.
- Pour this hot liquid over the prepped vegetables and seal the pouch using the displacement method (Archimedes’ Principle) to remove the air and zip the seal (or vacuum seal in the chamber vacuum).
- For the radishes (or other root vegetables): cook in the SousVide Supreme at 190F (88C) for 45 minutes. For the asparagus (or other tender vegetables): cook in the SousVide Supreme at 190F (88C) for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pouch and submerge it in an ice water bath (half ice, half water) for 15 minutes to stop the cooking process and quick chill the contents.
- Serve immediately or store refrigerated in a container with a tightly-fitting lid for up to a week.
Like this? Why not share it: