Courtesy of Douglas Baldwin
Time 40 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds (0.7 kg) large fresh scallops (diver caught)
- 2-3 tablespoons (30 to 40 ml) high-smoke-point oil (peanut, safflower or vegetable)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 140F/60C.
- Wash the scallops in clear water and pat dry with paper towels. If it remains, remove the tough tendon attachment with a sharp knife.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and black pepper.
- Put 1 or 2 scallops per cooking pouch and vacuum/seal.
- Place the pouches into the pouch rack of the SousVide Supreme and cook for 30 to 40 minutes. Set the timer for 40 minutes as cooking for an extended time could result in a loss of textural quality.
- Remove the scallops from their pouches and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat, watching carefully, until the oil just begins to smoke.
- Place scallops in the skillet (do not crowd them and work in batches if needed, wiping out the skillet with paper towels and replacing the oil between batches) and quickly sear the scallops to a golden brown on top and bottom, about 30 seconds to 1 minute at most per side.
- Immediately serve with vegetables or over pasta dressed simply with butter, freshly grated Parmesan cheese, garlic and chopped parsley.
Share This Recipe with Friends!