What to do with all the left over turkey? Sous vide turkey is simply too delicious not to use up! Here’s a recipe for a delicious risotto that will make sublime use of the leftovers.
Turkey and Wild Mushroom Risotto
Serves 6 as a main dish; 8 or more as a first course
- 6 cups (1.5 liters) turkey stock or chicken stock (add salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning to taste)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces (240 grams) fresh wild mushrooms, chopped
- 16 ounces (480 grams) leftover sous vide cooked turkey meat
- 2 cups (420 g) arborio rice
- Fresh thyme leaves and grated fresh parmigiano reggiano, for garnish if desired
- Heat the turkey or chicken stock in a saucepan and keep at a simmer throughout. Add salt and pepper and a dash of poultry seasoning or sage as desired to taste.
- In a soup pot, heat the olive oil and saute the onion until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they give up their juices.
- Add the turkey and continue to cook a few more minutes.
- Add the arborio rice and stir to coat the rice and distribute it throughout the mixture.
- Add 1 cup (240 ml) of hot broth and stir to combine. Stir frequently until all the liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes.
- Add another cup (240 ml) of hot broth and repeat, stirring frequently until all liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes.
- Repeat until all the broth has been incorporated and the rice is tender and enrobed with a creamy sauce.
- Top with fresh thyme leaves and a tablespoon of freshly grated parmigiano reggiano and serve!