Makes about 12 servings
- 12 large fresh eggs
- 1 quart/1 liter whole milk
- 1 cup/200 grams superfine or powdered sugar, divided use
- 2 cups/500 ml heavy cream
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup/250 ml bourbon whiskey, chilled (or more to your liking)
- 1 cup/250 ml brandy, chilled
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 140F/60C.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs for 2 to 3 minutes, until they are thick and pale yellow.
- Add the milk, sugar, salt, cream and about 1/8 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg and beat well to make the eggnog base.
- Pour the base into a gallon (large) food-grade pouch, press out as much air as possible from the pouch, and seal. Do not attempt to vacuum seal the pouch with a suction-type vacuum sealer.
- Drop the sealed food pouch into the water bath and cook for 1 hour, agitating the contents in the pouch several times during the cooking period.
- Remove the pouch from the water bath and immediately quick chill the base by submerging the sealed pouch in ice water (½ ice ½ water) for at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate for several hours to overnight to thoroughly chill.
- Remove the pouch of eggnog base from the refrigerator and pour it into a large punch bowl.
- Add the bourbon, brandy, and vanilla and mix well.
- Grate additional fresh nutmeg on top for garnish and serve immediately in punch cups. (Refrigerate for up to 30 minutes if needed; serve well chilled.)
Share This Recipe with Friends!