Buttered Baby Beets Sous Vide
Time 1 to 4 hours
- 12 to 16 small fresh beets, about 1 to 2-inch (37 to 50 mm) diameter
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) softened butter
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- Preheat the SousVide Supreme to 185F/85C.
- Trim the root and tops of the beets, if necessary, and scrub them thoroughly with a brush under running water. Pat dry and slice the beets in half.
- Put the beets into an appropriately sized cooking pouch, taking care that they are in a single layer; add the butter, salt and pepper and vacuum/seal.
- Put the pouch into the universal pouch rack and be sure the beets are fully submerged below the surface of the water bath.
- Cook for at least 90 minutes, but up to 4 hours will not significantly affect their texture.
- When cooking time has elapsed, remove pouch from water oven. The beets are delicious straight from the pouch.
You may also quick chill the beets in their sealed cooking pouch, completely submerged in an ice water bath for 30 minutes to 1 hour and refrigerate for use for up to 48 hours.